The Consumer Protection Service constitutes one of the divisions of the Ministry of Energy, Commerce and Industry.
Our mission is to pursue a high level of protection for consumers in today's highly competitive and fast paced market.
We aim at the most effective protection of consumers’ safety and economic interests, as well as the development of a legal framework that will ensure conditions of fair competition in the market.
In addition, we pursue to:
- improve consumers’ welfare in terms of price, choice, quality, diversity, affordability and safety.
- empower consumers through better access to accurate information.
- enhance consumers’ confidence, arising from better market transparency and effective protection of their rights.
The achievement of the above objectives is typically facilitated through the following:
- the existence of a sound legal framework for the protection of the consumers.
- the effective carrying out of inspections and market surveillance and law enforcement.
- the provision of education and information to consumers and the business community.
- the integration of consumer protection issues into other policy areas, such as education.
- the increased collaboration and contact with the civil society and especially the Cyprus consumers’ organisations.
- the establishment of close collaboration with respective EU units and institutions.
- the participation in EU programs that promote innovative measures regarding consumers’ protection and information.